The World Conference on Humanitarian Studies 2015 on Changing Crises and the Quest for Adequate Solutions will be organized on: 17-20 October 2015 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Call for Panels is now open; you can submit your panel on this website after registration.
Call for Panels
The Call for Panels for WCHS 2015 is open from March 31 to June 15. Below you can find all the details on uploading a panel, but don’t hesitate to contact us if you need further information. We are looking forward to you submissions.
To organise a panel, you will need to:
• Submit a 200 word proposal under one of the four conference themes
• Solicit contributors and evaluate submissions under your panel once your proposal is approved
• Arrange the panel: find a chair, consider the need for special funding of participants and maintain communication with the conference team.
A panel session will be 90 minutes and group three to five papers together around a common theme, making use of a discussant and allowing ample time for interaction. With more than 5 presentations, multiple sessions can be held. Roundtables could include presentations of agency work, or on-going policy development from agencies or governments. Organisers of roundtables should take responsibility for the programme.
If you would like to have a look at the Panel and Paper overview of WCHS 2013 you can visit the 2013 website.
How do I upload a panel?
– Register on this website for the conference (if you registered for our previous conferences, you will need to create a new account for this one)
– Log in with your new account
– Find out in which theme you think your panel fits best
– Go to ‘Call for Panels’ and click: submit/edit panel
– Upload your 250 word abstract, choose your theme and submit
– You will get a confirmation email in your inbox with further info
– We will notify you by email if your panel was accepted
– After acceptance your panel will be visible in the Proposed Panel list on our website
Important 2015 dates:
Call for Panels opens: 31 March
Call for Panels closes: 15 June
Final Panel acceptance date: June 30
Call for Papers opens: June 16
Call for Papers closes: September 15
Final Paper acceptance date: September 30
Useful Information for Panel Organizers:
As panel organizer we hope you will actively engage in soliciting papers for your panel.
IHSA aims for conferences that bring together academics as well as reflective practitioners. Your panel can be leaning to one of these audiences, or aim for a mixed participation. Once a paper abstract is submitted to your panel, the submitter will get an automated reply to acknowledge the receipt and you will be notified automatically.
It is up to you to accept or reject paper proposals.
Criteria you may apply are:
– Is the proposal relevant to the theme of the panel?
– Has it potential to become an interesting paper?
– Does it have academic quality? Or in case of a more practical paper: Does it have strong argument and is it based on material evidence or case studies?
– Does it make a reference to methodology?
You can also make suggestions to paper providers on improving their proposal to meet these criteria. Slots for panels during the conference are 90 minutes. This serves for 3-5 papers. In case there are more papers in your panel, you can have more slots. It may be advisable to appoint a chair to the panel and you may choose to have a discussant to the panel.
IHSA aims for a broad geographical participation and especially encourages the participation from countries where humanitarian crises occur frequently. We unfortunately do not have an elaborate budget for sponsored participation. We will highly appreciate any efforts you can make to find sponsorships for participants to your panel if so required.